QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5 is one of the QuickBooks issues that can occur in any version of QuickBooks, including QuickBooks Point of Sale. When installing POS hardware, using QuickBooks functions, or accessing the company file in a multi-user setup, QuickBooks Error Code 5 may appear. Intuit has provided many workarounds for dealing with the problem, all of which are detailed in this page with step-by-step instructions. To avoid wasting time and effort in resolving QuickBooks Desktop issue 5, we recommend that you follow the steps in the correct order.
“When using QuickBooks, do you get Error Code 5? For troubleshooting assistance, dial +1-844-947-4350.”
Unexpected Error 5 in QuickBooks can be caused by a variety of factors.
- One of the biggest causes of error code 5 in QuickBooks Desktop and POS is network connection issues that generate interruptions between the company file and the workstation.
- Unexpected error 5 in QuickBooks can also be caused by a damaged company file or network data file.
- In Multi-User mode, the Windows User account does not have the appropriate rights to view the company file.
- QuickBooks error 5 is caused by an out-of-date QuickBooks Desktop application, which also causes a slew of other issues.
5 Ways to Remove QuickBooks Error Messages
Before proceeding with the troubleshooting procedures listed below, make sure QuickBooks Desktop is updated to the most recent version available.
1. Recreate the QuickBooks Company File User
How to Get Rid of a User
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and select Users from the Company tab.
- Choose the one that reads Create a user and a role.
- Select the person from the User List and then click Delete.
- For confirmation, press Yes.
Re-Creation of the User
- Select New from the Users and Roles page.
- Enter the new user’s username here.
- Fill in your password and click the “Confirm” button.
- Set the user’s roles and then click OK.
2. Use File Doctor to repair damaged network and company files.
Follow our article How to Repair Damaged Network and Company File Using QuickBooks File Doctor for complete information on fixing damaged network and company files. In a multi-user hosting setup, QB File Doctor not only fixes broken company files and networks, but it also grants suitable folder permissions to the user to access the company file.
3. Disable Windows User Account Control.
- From the left bottom corner of your Windows Desktop, click the Start button.
- Select Control Panel from the right-hand panel’s list of programs.
- User Account can be found by searching for it in the top search box.
- Then click Change User Account Control Settings after selecting User Account.
- Yes, and then drop the slider to Never Notify.
- Restart Windows by clicking OK.
- If you still get the “System Error. Code: 5 Access Denied” error notice after running QuickBooks again, move on to the next troubleshooting step.
- If the error is fixed, make sure to enable the User Account Control (UAC) in Windows to guarantee that Windows security features work properly.
4. Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
If none of the other troubleshooting methods work, we’ll have to reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop application as a last resort.
- Click OK after pressing Windows + R and typing appwiz.cpl.
- To completely remove QuickBooks and its features from Windows, double-click the application and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Visit the QuickBooks Desktop Download page by clicking the link.
- Then click Search after selecting the relevant product and version.
- Now click Download and open the setup file from your computer’s downloads.
- To install the application, follow the on-screen directions.
If you’re still having trouble getting rid of the Unexpected Error 5 in QuickBooks, we recommend calling us at +1-844-947-4350 for assistance. We employ innovative technologies and screen sharing to assist us better understand the root cause of the error so that we can give you with an immediate solution in the least amount of time.